When it comes to Thanksgiving pies, are you squad pumpkin, pecan oregon apple? (and yes, “all of the above” is an acceptable answer.) For me, pumpkin pastry is the implicit essence of fall, and its easy my astir eagerly anticipated point connected the Thanksgiving menu. For the past respective years, I’ve lobbied my ma (our family’s authoritative pastry master) to marque this peculiar gingersnap pumpkin pastry look with a custardy filling and spicy gingersnap crust. For me, it’s the champion pumpkin pastry look connected the planet—so this year, I’m yet sharing it with you.
A genuinely large pumpkin pastry look is each astir that equilibrium of texture and flavor. Our mentation takes the classical pastry and gives it an aromatic twist with a crust that’s intolerable to resist. The gingersnap adds a warm, spicy opposition to the creamy pumpkin filling, creating a symphony of flavors successful each bite.
And if immoderate of you stock my accustomed inclination to conscionable skip the pastry crust and devour lone the filling? Well, that won’t beryllium the lawsuit with this gingersnap-studded, candy-like crust that gives the filling a tally for its wealth arsenic the prima of the show.
Here’s what you’ll request to marque this gingersnap pumpkin pie
For the crust:
- unsalted butter
For the filling:
- whole milk
- vanilla extract
- egg yolks
- can of pumpkin
- unsalted butter
- heavy cream
How to marque this gingersnap pumpkin pie
I’d similar to commencement by saying—traditional pies are not my strength. Baking a homemade flaky, buttery pastry crust intimidates me, and arsenic mentioned earlier, my ma is the existent pastry queen successful our household truthful I usually permission it to her. So spot maine erstwhile I say: this 1 is an implicit no-brainer. Here are the basal steps:
- Make the crust: harvester the crushed gingersnaps with the sugar, salt, and butter, past property it into your pastry dish. Refrigerate, bake, past fto cool.
- Make the filling: simmer unneurotic milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and brackish implicit medium.
- Whisk unneurotic your ovum yolks with cornstarch and sugar, past whisk successful the lukewarm beverage mixture. Return it each to the saucepan, and navigator implicit mean portion whisking until it’s bubbling.
- Add the pumpkin and butter, whisk it together, and you’ve got your custard.
- Pour it into the gingersnap crust and refrigerate. Then marque it beauteous with whipped cream, crushed gingersnaps, and (if you’re feeling extra) adhd immoderate prima anise and cinnamon.
The last effect is simply a filling that’s light-as-air and proves to beryllium insanely addictive (I usually find myself lasting astatine the refrigerator doorway precocious that night, nibbling “just 1 more” sliver. One of Thanksgiving’s top pleasures.)
Scroll connected for the recipe…
Let maine conscionable say: this pumpkin pastry is rather simply the best. A silky-smooth custard filling & spicy gingersnap cooky crust marque an incredibly addictive combination.
for the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups crushed gingersnaps, positive much for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and somewhat cooled
for the pie:
- 2 cups full milk
- 1 teaspoon axenic vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ample ovum yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups solid-pack pumpkin (from 1 15-ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, country temperature
- 1 1/4 cups dense cream, whisked to mean peaks
Cook Mode Prevent your surface from going acheronian
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine gingersnaps, sugar, and a pinch of brackish successful a bowl. Stir successful melted butter. Press substance into bottommost and up sides of a 9-inch pastry dish. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, past cook until crust is aureate brown, astir 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the filling: Bring milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/4 cupful sugar, and a pinch of brackish to a simmer successful a mean saucepan implicit mean heat. Meanwhile, whisk ovum yolks with cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cupful sweetener successful a mean bowl.
- Gradually whisk astir 1/2 cupful beverage substance into yolk mixture. Gradually whisk successful remaining beverage mixture. Return full substance to saucepan. Cook implicit mean heat, whisking constantly, until bubbling successful center, astir 3 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Immediately whisk successful pumpkin, past butter.
- Pour filling into gingersnap crust, smoothing the apical with an offset spatula. Refrigerate until set, astatine slightest 4 hours. When acceptable to serve, apical with whipped pick and crushed gingersnaps.
- Store this pastry successful the fridge until acceptable to serve.
- It keeps covered successful the fridge for 4 – 5 days.
*Recipe is adapted from a Martha Stewart version.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 25
Keywords: gingersnap pumpkin pie, thanksgiving pumpkin pastry recipe